UNI is the Global Union for skills and services    
Home       |        Information for Employers       |        Information for Employees       |        Contact

Information for Employees

When a worker in the private security services industry is considering working in another EU Member State, or indeed in a country outside the European Union, on permanent or longer term basis, there are a number of questions he or she will have to consider:

1) Will I need a visa/residence permit to legally work in the country and when and where should I obtain one?

2) Do I need a work permit to be legally employed in the country I wish to move to; who is responsible for obtaining this permit and is there a role for the future employer in obtaining the necessary documentation? What is the process and where can this be applied for?
3) Upon moving to a new country, how and where to I register for tax, health and social security purposes?
4) Are my qualifications obtained at home comparable with the minimum qualification/training requirements for the country I am seeking to move to?

5) Can my qualifications be recognised and validated in this country? If yes, which authority can issue such recognition/validation and if not, where can I obtain the minimum required qualifications to be able to work in the sector?

6) How are the (background) checks to be undergone to work in the sector in another country different from the checks I have submitted to at home, are these valid or do additional checks have to be carried out in the country where I am hoping to work? How do I go about obtaining these?

7) If the job requires the carrying of weapons, are the regulations/permits/licences regarding the carrying of weapons and training required different from what I have received at home - are they comparable and/or valid or will I need to undergo additional training?

8) If my home country has a licencing system, will this licence be valid abroad and if not, how do I go about obtaining a licence in another country?

9) What are the relevant trade unions in the sector, what collective agreement would I be covered by and what is the maximum working time I should expect to work?

10) How do levels of pay, benefits and employment rights differ from what I can expect at home?
This website is designed to help workers wishing to work abroad on a permanent or longer term basis obtain relevant information to answer the above 10 questions by accessing relevant country pages, depending on their nationality or last country of employment and the country they are hoping to move to. Their most important source of information will be the pages for the country they are hoping to move to to verify entry, work permit, qualification and licencing requirements. It is only to see how these requirements compare to those they are used to at home (or in their last country of employment), that they will need to consult the pages for their own country. 


European Commission  
With the support of European Commission Directorate-General Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities

 W3C XHTML 1.0 Validator  W3C CSS Validator  WAI AAA Conformance